2019-2020 Global Resources Report:
Government & Philanthropic Support for LGBTI Communities
VIEW THE LAUNCH WEBINAR
SPREAD THE WORD
WHAT TO WATCH FOR
- Further reporting on LGBTI humanitarian funding, building on Where Are the Global COVID-19 Resources for LGBTI Communities?
- Additional briefs and materials exploring the report data in the model of the Diving Deeper Series: Under the surface of LGBTI funding data.
STAY UP TO DATE
The 2019–2020 Global Resources Report: Government & Philanthropic Support for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Intersex Communities is the most comprehensive report to date on the state of global funding for lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and intersex (LGBTI) issues. This report documents data on over 15,800 grants awarded by 499 foundations, intermediary NGOs, and corporations and by 17 donor government and multilateral agencies over the two-year period of 2019–2020.
LGBTI communities worldwide face urgent conditions, and grantmakers must mobilize together to financially resource the movements that can meet those needs. This report provides the data to make the case for strategic and impactful funding.
Building on three previous editions, and now documenting a combined 8 years, this report provides detailed data on the distribution of LGBTI funding by geography, issue, strategy, population focus, and donor type, offering a tool for identifying trends, gaps, and opportunities in the rapidly changing landscape of LGBTI funding.
This new edition documents a total of $576 million, showing that global LGBTI funding grew by 3%, or over $16 million (USD). Notably, this edition of the report also documents a 38% increase in the number of grantees.
ON THIS PAGE
DOWNLOAD THE REPORT
- Color double-page spread [recommended for online viewing]
- Black and White double-page spread [recommended for home printing]
- If you prefer a single-page view, you can also download the color or black and white versions.
- Color [prints the length of three standard pages]
VIEW INTERACTIVE SLIDES
These slide decks offer another way to view and share the Global Resources Report findings.
- Scan each slide deck forward and backwards using the arrows at the bottom of the slide.
- Scroll your pointer to the right hand corner of the deck and you’ll see three dots pop up. After clicking those dots, choose the middle option to share the slides via social media, copy the link, or an access an embed code. Or choose the bottom option to view the slides in full screen size. Choose the top option (an X) to return to the main screen view.
- When viewing charts, scroll your pointer over the elements to see numeric values pop up. You may also select and deselect different items in a chart legend to focus your view of the information.
- Note the key code which indicates which funding is included in each equation (whether or not funding focused on the United States is included, and whether or not fundsawarded for regranting are included) and indicating which chart in the PDF report aligns with the one shown in the slide deck.
Viewing the slides on a phone? You should have the same functionality, especially if you turn your phone to horizontal (landscape) view. In case that’s not working for you, here are some direct links to each slideshow: The Big Picture | Global South and East | Global North | International.
THANK YOU TO THE REPORT SPONSORS
Thank you to the 2019-2020 Global Resources Report sponsors: American Jewish World Service, The Baring Foundation, Global Fund for Women, Horizons Foundation, Mama Cash, and Voice,
and the full membership of Global Philanthropy Project.
LEARN ABOUT LGBTI FUNDING IN THE U.S.A
Want to learn more about the details of funding in the U.S.A. and by U.S.-based foundations? Read Funders for LGBTQ Issues‘ 2019-2020 Resource Tracking Report: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, and Queer Grantmaking by U.S. Foundations.
MORE RESEARCH FROM GLOBAL PHILANTHROPY PROJECT
GPP and Égides, 2023
Partnering with Pride was written by leading LGBTIQ+ groups across Asia and the Pacific, in partnership with the Global Philanthropy Project and Equality Australia, 2023
Elevate Children Funders Group y Global Philanthropy Project, 2021
Elevate Children Funders Group and Global Philanthropy Project, March 2021
These briefs focus on: global LBQTI funding, the role of intermediaries and government embassies in global LGBTI funding, and funding for LGBTI sex workers.
Report available in English, Spanish, and French
What are the different kinds of LGBTI funders, and what are good ways to approach them for support? Watch GPP’s new “meet the donors” video to learn more.
Global Philanthropy Project, January 2021
Global Philanthropy Project and Funders for LGBTQ Issues, May 2020
Resources from Elevate Children’s Funders Group and Global Philanthropy Project, October 2019
GPP, GATE, AJWS, Astraea, 2019.